Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Personal Application

I chose to incorporate the teachings concerning family into my life more for the past several weeks.  I kept a record of whether we held Family Home Evening, family scripture study, and family prayer.  The chart below illustrates our efforts.  (Note: The small x's under "Family Prayer" show evening prayers while the large x's show morning family prayer.)


For Family Home Evening, I made sure we had the lessons well planned and thought out.  They were much more meaningful and brought our family together even more.  We are usually very good with having Family Home Evening, but I really wanted to make sure we planned and prepared for them rather than throw together things at the last minute.  Preparing beforehand seemed to invite the Spirit more into our home and the whole night ran smoother.  
Family scripture study is harder for us, especially in the summer when we tend to stay up later than we should.  With a concerted effort from all family members, we were able to read more often than when we began, but we still seem to miss at least one day a week.  When we remembered early enough in the evening, we were able to discuss what we were reading more and my children were able to apply it to their lives.  I know reading the scriptures together as a family will help us face trials and temptations.  We can help and support each other when we have time to read and study the scriptures together.  
Family prayer was the other thing I really tried to focus on these past few weeks.  Evening prayers are much easier for us to remember as a family, but I know morning family prayer is just as important, if not even more so.  This is something we will continue to work on, but as we make a united effort, I know we can do it.  I hope that as my children start school again next week, it will be easier to all gather together for family prayer before heading out of the house for the day.
I am so grateful for my family and for living prophets who guide us and counsel us on how to best raise our families in this ever-changing world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment